You can slap together this Strawberry Snacking Cake with ease! A one-bowl mix method and simple cream cheese frosting highlight a springy strawberry flavor!
There’s an understanding that a little black dress is an essential component of any wardrobe. With everyone wanting to scale back (see minimalism), objects have to be multifaceted. Yet isn’t there something to say about pink? Is pink extraneous? Yes. But it is a blooming soft color, the spring pink is gentle yet breathtaking.
Here that color can be translated into a dessert. And this Strawberry Snacking Cake is a workhorse for the recipe book.
Just like the multipurpose black dress, this Strawberry Snacking Cake can be used in a variety of situations.
Strawberry flavor comes from a strawberry preserves in the cake and puree of fresh strawberries in the frosting.
The Strawberry Snacking Cake is the Goldilocks of cakes. A single layer to satiate a quick baking whim. Decorating is nonplussed with a rustic application of smooth strawberry cream cheese frosting.
This Strawberry Snack Cake recipe can be a true snacking cake with a fine dusting of powdered sugar, but this strawberry frosting is perfect partner for the cake base.
This Strawberry Snacking Cake gets it’s flavor from two forms of strawberry. There are preserves in the cake and a puree of strawberries. This puree (ideally) can be made ahead of the baking, as it needs to cool completely before adding it to the frosting.
For more Strawberry Recipes:
Strawberry Snacking Cake
For the Strawberry Snacking Cake:
- 2 cups all-purpose flour (240g)
- 1 cup granulated sugar (200g)
- 2 tsp baking powder (8g)
- 1/2 tsp fine salt (1g)
- 3/4 cup whole milk room temperature (180g)
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 tsp vanilla extract (4g)
- 2 large eggs room temperature and whisked
- 3/4 cup strawberry preserves
- Red or pink food coloring
For the Strawberry Puree:
- 1/2 pound strawberries
- 1/2 tsp lemon zest
For the Strawberry Frosting:
- 1 cup unsalted butter room temperature (226g)
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- 4 ounces cream cheese cut it into small pieces and very soft
- Strawberry puree (see recipe above)
- 1/8 tsp strawberry extract
- 1/8 tsp fine salt
To make the Strawberry Snack Cake:
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Grease one 8-inch cake pan with baking spray, set aside.
- Sift the first 4 ingredients in a large bowl. Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients and add remaining 6 ingredients. Be sure to scrape the sides and bottom of the bowl to ensure proper incorporation.
- Pour into prepared pan baking for 45 minutes, rotating halfway. A toothpick inserted will come out clean. Let cake cool in pan before inverting onto a wire rack to cool completely. If not assembling the cake in the same day, wrap cooled cake in plastic wrap and refrigerate until ready to use
To make the Strawberry Puree:
- Hull and cut strawberries into small even diced pieces. Combine strawberries and zest in a small heavy bottom saucepan, bringing it to a boil, reduce to a simmer for 8 minutes. Let cool. Blend and strain mixture. Refrigerate until usage.
To make the Strawberry Frosting:
- Beat butter until white and fluffy in texture, about 5 to 8 minutes, scraping frequently. Add powdered sugar gradually, followed by cream cheese cubes, puree, extract, and salt. Refrigerate until ready to assemble cake.