Get ready for a intense dessert! These Besfren Chocolate Chip Cookies are Instagram Worthy! Loaded with a gooey fudgey chocolate cookie and covered with three different chocolate morsels makes for sweet and stunning statement!
A spectrum of techniques exists for chocolate chip cookies. There’s the Levain cold butter cookies, there’s Sarah Kieffer’s crinkled cookies. Here I wanted to harness the technique by Besfren Bakery.
Loaded. Yes packed to the max with a trio of varying chocolates. Here’s what I like about Besfren’s technique, after baking for a few minutes, they remove the cookies from oven and add a healthy handful of chocolate morsels to the top of cookies.
Not only do these extra chocolate morsels give you that chocolate fix, they are visually appealing, giving you that especially perfect and internet worthy picture.
Besfren uses a mix of dark and milk chocolate. I opted go with just milk chocolate. The varying shapes provide perfect distribution: mini chocolate chips, chocolate chunks, and chocolate chips. The chocolate chips I used are larger than the standard Nestle morsels. I seldom spend the money for Guittard, but I recommend you use it for the chocolate chips. Their larger size match Besfren’s cookies and these chips are in scale to these monstrous sized cookies.
I say monstrous in a good way. In the assembly stage, these cookies look like boulders. Size is the appeal for these Besfren Chocolate Chip Cookies. The dramatic size of the cookies makes you feel like a kid who just got away with something. Whimsy is what makes these cookies exciting to consume!
Though I used Besfren’s technique of different chocolate morsels, however, the cookie texture doesn’t mimic Besfren’s crispy crunchy cookie texture. I opt for gluten. Sorry, I’ll never make gluten free cookies. There are many different fields of cookie philosophy. However, I believe cookies should have that thick, chewy, and barely baked quality. And that’s where gluten comes in for chew and structure.
I raise these Besfren Chocolate Chip Cookies to the next level with a stuffed layer of chocolate cookie dough filling. The interior is chocolate dough with white chocolate chips. Achieving the stuffed effect is simple. If you’ve made dumplings or ravioli, you’ll know the importance of “less is more.” You scoop 2/3 of the normal dough, smashing it into a flat disc. A mere 1 ½ tablespoons of chocolate dough is flattened on top, leaving a ¼ inch perimeter. You then fold the initial chocolate chip cookie dough around the chocolate dough. Baking the cookies seem side down ensures that the inside doesn’t ooze out.
It takes some steps, but the good thing about these cookies is that these Besfren Chocolate Chip Cookies freeze beautifully and you can easily bake one or several!
- For the Triple Chocolate Chip Cookies:
- 4 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon fine salt
- 1 cup (2 sticks, 8 ounces) unsalted butter, room temperature
- ½ cup (4 ounces) butter flavored shortening
- 1 ½ cups firmly packed dark brown sugar
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 12 ounces mini chocolate chips
- 12 ounces chocolate chunks, reserve 4 ounces
- 12 ounces chocolate chips, reserve 4 ounces
- For the Chocolate Cookie Dough:
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon espresso powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon fine salt
- ½ cup (1 stick, 4 ounces) unsalted butter, room temperature
- ¾ cup packed light brown sugar
- 1 large egg, room temperature
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 6 ounces white chocolate chips
- Whisk flour, cornstarch, baking soda, salt together, set aside. Cream butter, shortening, and sugars on medium speed, scraping occasionally, until combined and fluffy, about 3 to 4 minutes.
- Scrape bowl, add eggs and vanilla. With mixer on low gradually add dry-mixture. Add in chocolate chips. Set aside.
- Whisk together flour, cocoa powder, espresso powder, baking soda, and salt, set aside. Cream butter and sugar on medium speed, scraping occasionally, until combined and fluffy, about 3 to 4 minutes.
- Scrape bowl, add egg and vanilla. With mixer on low gradually add dry-mixture. Add in white chocolate chips. Set aside.
- Lay out parchment paper. Use a 1/3 cup dry measure to scoop the Triple Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough. With your hands, flatten the dough portions into evenly flat disks. Scoop 1 ½ tablespoons of Chocolate Dough, forming them into disks that are smaller than the other dough. Lay Chocolate Dough-disk on top of the Triple Chocolate Chip Dough. Fold the Triple Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough around the Chocolate Dough, ensuring that the Chocolate dough isn’t poking through. Place seam side down, flattening the ball into the shape of a hockey puck. Chill for 15 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F., line baking sheets with parchment paper. Place cookies 2-inches apart. Bake cookies for 9 minutes. Remove from oven, press reserve chocolate chips and chocolate chunks onto each cookie. For a Instagram worthy cookie, apply the chocolate chips tip side down. Bake for 18 to 22 minutes, until it’s slightly golden around the edges. Remove from oven. Sprinkle with salt if desired.